Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Overview: Founded in 1938, the Barbershop Harmony Society (“BHS”) is an arts education and performance organization with more than 20,000 singers in nearly 700 chapters throughout North America. This position is responsible for developing and creating new singing communities (very large quartets, high school or college ensembles, clubs, meetups, etc.). A person in this role will be successful if they 1) work in partnership with the current Chapter Success Manager and Marketing Team to identify where current singing communities could thrive, 2) proactively develop those communities, and 3) provide content/material/resources that directly support overall community health.
Reports To: Sr. Director Of Impact, Barbershop Harmony Society
- Plant, nurture, and grow new singing communities across North America
- Work in partnership with the Chapter Success Manager to facilitate transition of new communities that want to become an official chapter
- Provide quarterly updates to Director of Membership, Director of Education, Executive Team, Harmony Foundation International, and District President’s Council on growth or new communities, including:
- Participation & engagement totals
- Descriptions of new communities and resources needed
- Next steps for cultivating that community
- Create and maintain dashboard of community health indicators
- Proactively facilitate resolution of community start up specific needs to available resources at the Barbershop Harmony Society
- Provide timely responses to email and phone calls from communities
- Liaise and manage relationships with current non-chapter barbershop communities in North America to ensure we meet their expectations. Current communities include Harmony Brigades, Association of International Champions, Ancient Harmonious Society of Woodshedders, etc.
- Other duties as yet to be defined
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor
- Experience analyzing data to identify opportunity
- Community development experience helpful
- Appreciation and understanding of the value of singing together
- Ability to travel - up to 20% per year
- Working knowledge of Google drive and shared Google documents
- Orientation toward sales and outreach
- Ability to deliver results
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to both function as part of a team and work independently
- Working knowledge of the BHS desired
The Barbershop Harmony Society Internship Program provides exceptional undergraduate and graduate students from many diverse backgrounds the opportunity to gain practical, challenging, and meaningful on-the-job work experience while bringing members together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing.
Because interns are a vital part of the future of the Barbershop Harmony Society, we strive to provide a hands-on experience that gives a realistic preview of what it is like to work at a non-profit. Through our Internship Program, interns:
- Gain substantial professional experience and exposure to critical issues pertaining to the non-profit sector.
- Develop a comprehensive perspective on the Barbershop Harmony Society's mission and program delivery at the local, national, and international levels.
- Receive networking, personal and professional development opportunities; including opportunities to meet with Barbershop Harmony Society senior leadership.
We currently have the following Internship opportunities available:
- Convention Coordinator
- Membership and Customer Service
- Harmony University (Education)
- Music Publication
- Social Impact & Nonprofit Management
- Social Media
Additional opportunities may be added at a later date. Your interest, course of study and the availability of openings determine the possibilities. From the start, interns are challenged to demonstrate their strengths and apply their knowledge to help us achieve our business strategy. Please visit our website to read more about our internship program