The Barbershop Harmony Society Internship Program provides exceptional undergraduate and graduate students from many diverse backgrounds the opportunity to gain practical, challenging, and meaningful on-the-job work experience while bringing members together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing.
Because interns are a vital part of the future of the Barbershop Harmony Society, we strive to provide a hands-on experience that gives a realistic preview of what it is like to work at a non-profit. Through our Internship Program, interns:
- Gain substantial professional experience and exposure to critical issues pertaining to the non-profit sector.
- Develop a comprehensive perspective on the Barbershop Harmony Society's mission and program delivery at the local, national, and international levels.
- Receive networking, personal and professional development opportunities; including opportunities to meet with Barbershop Harmony Society senior leadership.
We currently have the following Internship opportunities available:
- Convention Coordinator
- Membership and Customer Service
- Harmony University (Education)
- Music Publication
- Social Impact & Nonprofit Management
- Social Media
Additional opportunities may be added at a later date. Your interest, course of study and the availability of openings determine the possibilities. From the start, interns are challenged to demonstrate their strengths and apply their knowledge to help us achieve our business strategy. Please visit our website to read more about our internship program
Service on the Society Board of Directors is an opportunity afforded to our membership. It provides a member with an experience of a lifetime and the chance to participate with other members of good character who strive to govern our Society, create vision and set policy that will affect our membership for years to come, and to develop, support, and monitor progress in the successful implementation of a dynamic and forward-thinking strategic plan.
The Society Board of Directors is a governance, not an operational management, board. It provides the vision and sets the goals necessary for the Society’s professional staff to manage the organization to a successful future. Members who have a wide range of experience in the Society, in business, in non-profit service (including the BHS), in public service and/or in other endeavors that offer experience in leadership and governance are the focus of our efforts to secure the best-qualified members for service on the Board for a term beginning in 2020.
Further, the Nominating Committee is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse Society governance structure beginning with the Board of Directors and welcomes all candidates who may help us achieve that goal. The Nominating Committee is seeking qualified applicants for the positions of Society President, Society Executive Vice-President, Society Treasurer, and Board Member-at-Large. General qualifications include (but are not limited to):
1. Willingness to further the purposes of the Society and the attainment of its objectives.
2. A desire to preserve the Society’s ideals' and further the extension of barbershop harmony throughout the world.
3. Willingness to be responsible for all matters affecting the affairs of the Society.
4. Experience in creating strategic plans, setting long-term goals, and monitoring progress toward achievement of those goals is essential.
5 Exhibit the ability to maintain a Society-wide perspective that is basic to the success of a board member.
6. In the instance of the Society Treasurer, experience with:
• Financial oversight of an organization's budget
• Presentation of an annual budget and recommendations to an organization's Governing Board
• Supervise the development of fiscal policies and practices for recommendation to an organization's Governing Board
• Maintain a record of an organization's assets
• Require monthly statements from designated depositories of the Governing organization
• Provide reports to the organization's Board as required including an annual report
8. The Nominating Committee is also seeking at least one candidate with a leadership background involving corporate governance. In addition to the support activities of governance mechanisms, the ideal candidate will have participated in the creation and maintenance of policies that define one or more governance functions.
Applicants are encouraged to review the Society’s By-laws which can be found at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B06bQhVih7-Db1czNDkzTlA2SGs/view It is essential that applicants review Articles IV and V of the Society By-laws regarding the Society Board and its officers.
Applicants are informed that the selected nominees are expected to be present at the International Convention in Salt Lake City, Utah from Sunday, June 30, 2019, through Tuesday, July 2, 2019, and that they attend all sessions of the Society Board meetings on those dates. Further, anticipated meeting dates in 2019 and 2020 that the newly elected Board members are required to attend are scheduled for November 2019, January 2020 (Midwinter Convention), March 2020 (in-person or telephone conference call), July 2020 (International Convention), and late Fall 2020. Elected members are also asked to hold the 3rd Sunday of each month, between 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. CT for additional teleconference Board meetings as-needed.
Applications may be found on the Society website. Completed applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted by midnight CDT on March 15, 2019, to be considered. Applications will only be accepted at https://barbershopharmonysociety.submittable.com/submit/106157/application-for-position-of-society-t...).