Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Overview: Founded in 1938, the Barbershop Harmony Society (“BHS”) is an arts education and performance organization with more than 20,000 singers in nearly 700 chapters throughout North America. Our strategic vision of Everyone in Harmony is built upon four foundational concepts:
- Preservation and Encouragement [of the Barbershop style] through Participation and Engagement
- Building Singing Communities
- Driving Impact through Programs
- Supporting a Whole World of Singing
In this role, you are a magician and transformer of data. You take numbers and qualitative surveys and translate them into insights. This position is responsible for proactively providing quarterly reports to various staff and volunteers based on financial and social impact data. A person in this role will be successful if they 1) understand and help encourage measurement & evaluation best practices, 2) collect large volumes of data, 3) explore and analyze data sets using tools like Excel or Tableau, 4) visualize data insights, and 5) proactively communicate your findings to teams across the organization.
This position is a NEW position for the organization and has been funded to help the organization advance its recent vision of “Everyone in Harmony.” This position is a temporary position through December 2020 with the desire to make this position a full-time, permanent position with opportunities for growth. The question is-----are you ready for the opportunity? If so...we’re ready for you!
Reports To: Chief Program Officer, Barbershop Harmony Society
Roles and Responsibilities
- Update, analyze results, and share reports for the following surveys:
- Membership Retention & Exit surveys
- Program Surveys (annual and longitudinal)
- Singing Community Satisfaction & Impact Surveys
- Grant Project Reports
- Provide monthly “Scorecard” reports on transactional and overall value-focused data related to participation and engagement of people interested in barbershop and singing communities
- Enhance the quarterly “Mission to Impact” reports with data gathered in that quarter (surveys, “Scorecard,” financial)
- Work with BHS team on developing longitudinal surveys for understanding deep, social impact
- Develop measurement & evaluation services and resources for singing communities (regional and local) to develop their own measurement & evaluation activities in order to have more local impact with their activities and programs
- Support the development of the organization’s Annual Report
- Manage the relationships, budgets, and resulting work with outside measurement & evaluation vendors
- Manage the transactions associated with the measurement and evaluation related services for BHS singing communities
- Provide insights to managers and program directors based on independent exploration and/or specific queries posed by BHS staff and volunteers.
- Collect data by using a scripting language such as SQL
- Ability to analyze datasets with tools like Excel
- Tableau, Power BI, and Microsoft CRM experience considered a plus
- Ability to gather requirements from staff with variety of technical aptitude, and then report back in formats that are easy to digest
- Experience analyzing data to identify opportunity
- Orientation toward inspiring others
- Working knowledge of Google drive and shared Google documents
- Must be able to both function as part of a team and work independently
What’s in it for you
- Competitive compensation package
- Up to 10 days of paid vacation
- 14 paid holidays, including December 24 - January 1
- Up to 8 days sick leave per year
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Optional short-term disability insurance
- 401K plan with 3% safe harbor contribution and discretionary and company matches that could aggregate up to an additional 6% (9% total)
- Work with one of Nashville’s Best Places to Work
- High-engagement staff environment with regular team-building and social activities throughout the year
- A chance to make a difference in the lives of others
As a key component of our vision of Everyone in Harmony, the Barbershop Harmony Society is committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills. We believe that employees who feel valued and encouraged to share their ideas are empowered to foster innovation that leads to both personal and professional growth.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The Barbershop Harmony Society Internship Program provides exceptional undergraduate and graduate students from many diverse backgrounds the opportunity to gain practical, challenging, and meaningful on-the-job work experience while bringing members together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing.
Because interns are a vital part of the future of the Barbershop Harmony Society, we strive to provide a hands-on experience that gives a realistic preview of what it is like to work at a non-profit. Through our Internship Program, interns:
- Gain substantial professional experience and exposure to critical issues pertaining to the non-profit sector.
- Develop a comprehensive perspective on the Barbershop Harmony Society's mission and program delivery at the local, national, and international levels.
- Receive networking, personal and professional development opportunities; including opportunities to meet with Barbershop Harmony Society senior leadership.
We currently have the following Internship opportunities available:
- Convention Coordinator
- Membership and Customer Service
- Music Education
- Music Publication
- Social Media
Additional opportunities may be added at a later date. Your interest, course of study, and the availability of openings determine the possibilities. From the start, interns are challenged to demonstrate their strengths and apply their knowledge to help us achieve our business strategy. Please visit our website to read more about our internship program