Founded in 1938, the Barbershop Harmony Society is an arts education and performance organization with over 22,000 singers in 700 chapters throughout North America. This is a full-time position devoted to providing support through the Customer Service Center. As the first point of contact for our passionate singers (think of Barbershoppers as “professional hobbyists”) the Customer Service Representative provides support in customer service, answering questions about membership, contests and events. Other areas include completion of special projects and reports, processing of membership documents, event registrations and merchandise orders, accounts receivable, correspondence, filing, telephones, occasional travel, and various duties as assigned.
● Represent the “face and voice” of the Barbershop Harmony Society to members, prospective members, volunteers, and others who are interested in barbershop harmony
● Respond to customer questions and concerns via mail, email, fax, and primarily phone calls; return voicemails in a timely fashion
● Troubleshoot customer problems with excellent attention to detail to provide a high level of customer satisfaction
● Take initiative to plan and accomplish personal goals and special projects for the benefit of the company as determined with the Customer Service Manager
● Process orders and answer questions related to new member applications, membership renewals, music and merchandise orders, quartets, accounts receivable, chapter insurance, outreach, harmony university, and events
● Attract new and repeat customers by answering product/service questions as well as suggesting additional products/services
● Proficiently navigate the membership, event, and shop management computer system database
Education, experience & attributes:
● Two years customer service experience
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Familiar with CRM systems and practices
● Proven flexibility and ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Pleasant telephone voice/manner
● Ability to remain calm, cool, and collected under pressure
● Strong ability to work independently and on a team
● Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
● Knowledge of Barbershop Harmony Society preferred
● Passionate about music/singing definitely a plus!
● High school diploma or equivalent
The BHS is an association of approximately 22,000 members in the United States and Canada and an additional 10 affiliated international organizations, dedicated to preserving the art of the barbershop style of a cappella singing and encouraging men to share in the joys of barbershop harmony.
Founded in 1938 as the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Incorporated (a.k.a. SPEBSQSA), BHS is the world’s largest all-male singing organization. At the heart of its identity is the preservation and encouragement of barbershop singing, a uniquely American close harmony musical form whose roots lie in African-American improvisation and European harmonic traditions. Today the fellowship, fulfillment, and excitement of vocal music is attracting a new generation of singers: barbershop is “hot” and the BHS is making it happen. The BHS has a 12-member Board of Directors.
The BHS has a collective vision based on four Pillars that guide the organization’s growth and development:
Through the medium of barbershop harmony, we maintain and expand supportive services for a global community of artists.
Through the medium of barbershop harmony, we elevate artistic and leadership skills through education and best practices.
Through the medium of barbershop harmony, we establish lifelong singing as a core community asset.
We scale our impact by growing social enterprises, individual philanthropy, and institutional philanthropy.
Also resident in the Society’s Nashville headquarters is Harmony Foundation International, a separately incorporated charitable trust responsible for raising money, currently focused on individual philanthropy, to support the Society’s educational and charitable mission, programs, and other special projects.
Our timeline is:
Today to Sunday, November 26, 2017.
Monday, November 27, 2017.
Application window closed.
Monday, November 27 to Sunday, December 10th
Applications reviewed by HU Deans and BHS staff
On or before Friday, December 15, 2017.
All applicants will be informed if accepted on faculty, declined, or "waitlisted" for service.