- Willingness to further the purposes of the Society and the attainment of its objectives.
- A desire to preserve the Society’s ideals' and further the extension of barbershop harmony throughout the world.
- Willingness to be responsible for all matters affecting the affairs of the Society.
- Be an active member in good standing of a chapter (other than the Frank H. Thorne Chapter).
- Experience in creating strategic plans, setting long-term goals, and monitoring progress toward achievement of those goals is essential.
- Exhibit the ability to maintain a Society-wide perspective that is basic to the success of a board member.
- In the instance of the Society Treasurer, experience with:
- Financial oversight of an organization's budget
- Presentation of an annual budget and recommendations to an organization's Governing Board
- Supervise the development of fiscal policies and practices for recommendation to an organization's Governing Board
- Maintain a record of an organization's assets
- Require monthly statements from designated depositories of the Governing organization
- Provide reports to the organization's Board as required including an annual report
The Barbershop Harmony Society Internship Program provides exceptional undergraduate and graduate students from many diverse backgrounds the opportunity to gain practical, challenging, and meaningful on-the-job work experience while bringing members together in harmony and fellowship to enrich lives through singing.
Because interns are a vital part of the future of the Barbershop Harmony Society, we strive to provide a hands-on experience that gives a realistic preview of what it is like to work at a non-profit. Through our Internship Program, interns:
- Gain substantial professional experience and exposure to critical issues pertaining to the non-profit sector.
- Develop a comprehensive perspective on the Barbershop Harmony Society's mission and program delivery at the local, national, and international levels.
- Receive networking, personal and professional development opportunities; including opportunities to meet with Barbershop Harmony Society senior leadership.
We currently have the following Internship opportunities available:
- Convention Coordinator
- Membership and Customer Service
- Harmony University (Education)
- Music Publication
- Social Impact & Nonprofit Management
- Social Media
Additional opportunities may be added at a later date. Your interest, course of study and the availability of openings determine the possibilities. From the start, interns are challenged to demonstrate their strengths and apply their knowledge to help us achieve our business strategy. Please visit our website to read more about our internship program
Overview: Founded in 1938, the Barbershop Harmony Society is an arts education and performance organization with nearly 22,000 singers in 750 chapters throughout North America. This position is responsible for music curriculum and resources to our members, with a focus on online learning and developing Harmony University online. Our work is built upon four Pillars:
- Through the medium of barbershop harmony, we maintain and expand supportive services for a global community of singer/artists.
- Through the medium of barbershop harmony, we elevate artistic and leadership skills through education and best practices.
- Through the medium of barbershop harmony, we establish lifelong singing as a core community asset.
- We increase our impact by by building diversified revenue streams including earned income, individual philanthropy, and institutional philanthropy.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is looking for a well-rounded web/software developer to join the existing IT department to maintain current custom built applications and integrate multiple internal systems. A great Application Developer has excellent knowledge of at least one programming language. They must be familiar with a variety of operating systems and platforms. They must also be experienced with completing tasks on time and on budget. The ideal candidate will also have an analytical mindset and a keen eye for detail.
- Maintain and evolve the aesthetic of the Society's website(s) & web applications
- Work with a dedicated project manager to prioritize your schedule, deliverables, and timelines
- Understand client requirements and how they translate in application features
- Design creative prototypes according to specifications
- Write high quality source code to program complete applications within deadlines
- Perform unit and integration testing before launch
- Conduct functional and non-functional testing
- Troubleshoot and debug applications
- Evaluate existing applications to reprogram, update and add new features
- Develop technical documents and handbooks to accurately represent application design and code
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Web Design, Application Development, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of web development, with both front-end and back-end experience preferred
- UI/UX experience would be a huge bonus
- Able to write and customize code in PHP
- Experience with MSSQL
- Experience working with and setting up a CMS (Craft CMS, Wordpress, etc)
- Write clean, well-documented code that is easy to maintain
- Write technical/instructional copy as needed
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Willing to learn new processes and programs
- Outstanding communication, organization, project/time management and interpersonal skills.
This is a full time position with a very attractive benefits package including health, vision and dental insurance; retirement; vacation, etc. Please reply with a resume and samples/working links. Freelancers need not apply. No recruiters or phone calls please.